Today I started making headway on “Putting a New Face on an Old Place.” I changed protagonists around in the morning and re-outlined the story. The bulk of the rough draft was written in about 2,300 words, enough that I have a good idea of what’s working and what’s not. For instance, the story was originally a back-and-forth conversation between two people, the protagonist and the person who’s trying to get the protagonist to change and make a decision. I’m thinking of adding a third person, one who’s trying to keep the protagonist on the current, dire course. In a way, both characters will be externalizing what’s going on in the protagonist’s head, as the protagonist understands a change is needed. He just doesn’t want to do it. Not initially, anyway.
I also came up with a couple of ideas for humor-based stories I may try and flesh out at a later date, or sooner if the story in the previous paragraph just doesn’t pan out.
Today I was supposed to start my revision of “Pearl Diver.” It didn’t happen, and I have no excuse other than poor time management. I knew we had a church function following the regular service and we were also headed to the movie theater in the afternoon which turned into a dinner date. The Wind Rises is well worth seeing, by the way. Different from Miyazaki’s other works in that it’s a biography/docudrama rather than a complete work of fiction, but the animation is still top-notch.
- Planning and outlining: 450
- Short Fiction: 2,300
- Novel Fiction: 000
- Salable words: 000
Total Fiction for Month: 17,598
Total Salable for Month: 4,800
Total Fiction for Challenge Year: 67,821
Total Salable for Challenge Year: 15,744